Sunday, March 04, 2007

Xculture Tumblelog

After seeing a link to tumblelog service Tumblr on 43 Folders, I tried it out for myself. A tumblelog is like a cross between a blog and a scrapbook: a place to quickly post random images, quotes, links, or whatever catches your fancy. My original intention was to use it as a place to quickly store (and publish) material that had some sort of resonance for me, partly in preparation for a specific creative project and partly just to spark general creativity. Tumblr definitely worked well for those purposes: the Tumblr bookmarklet can automatically turn selected text on a web page into an appropriately credited and linked quotation post, and if you are on a Flickr image page it will automatically grab and credit the image. But as I got addicted to tumblelogging stuff, it quickly became a slightly more structured kind of game. I started trying to maintain a chain of visual or conceptual links between the posts. Whether I'll keep this up or not I don't know, but you can view the game in progress here, or subscribe to this feed.

No comments: